Sunday, February 22, 2009

Handsome Furs - Face Control (2009)

Confession time! As of a couple of weeks ago I had become infatuated with the two sexiest boys on this planet who, unfortunately, don't love me back, and who, unfortunately, keeps me waiting and waiting. I get sucked into an obsession that isn't quite healthy.

Here's what: Handsome Furs own me. "Own" as in, total pwn-age. I listen to Handsome Furs day and night. I listen to Handsome Furs in my sleep. And I listen to Handsome Furs in the shower. And so, I waited, I waited, and I waited. For a date. A date to talk about this sexy beast, duh.


Handsome Furs - Face Control (2009)
Release Date: March 10, 2009
Sub Pop

Scary? Yeah, I think so, too. So, I am going to break the rules here.

The release date for Face Control is delayed by a month or so. Track 4 from the album, "All We Want, Baby, Is Everything" is facing legal complications that holds the album from being officially released. Blame it to New Order. It is quite possible that the delay is caused by New Order threatening the boys to blow them before the album gets an "OK-go, party on." Or something like that.

Such unfairness in life. It would have been the perfect Valentine's album of 2009. Next year maybe. Not.

So. Let's talk about Face Control. Other than the scary album art, all the of insides are meat and deliciousness. Once again, Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade and Alexei Perry combined their making out skills and music-making skills, took it to Mount Zoomer and then to Hotel2Tango toward perfection. And what do you get? Handsome Furs in its pure perfection, and pure sexiness this year in the form on an album which cover art had successfully got me scared pantless first time. After one round of listen, I am in love. After two rounds, I am fleeting. After the third and fourth and the nth, I am sold. I daresay it is either equally awesome or even better than the awesome that I rate for Plague Park of 2007. Because this is the case, I must vote Face Control as my top album of 2009.

Here's a sneak of "Nyet Spasiba" from the album. It means "No, thank you" in Russian.


Handsome Furs - Nyet Spasiba

No comments: