Monday, January 05, 2009

My Morning Jacket : New Years : Madison Square Garden


I had a pretty low-key New Years this year. Honestly, I loved it. I have had years when I've been down at the Tempe Mill Ave Block Party til 4 in the morning. When I was young we had all night parties at my families house and anyone who didn't make it til the sun came up was not invited the next year.

I once thought I would have liked to go to New York one new year but changed my mind after a friend told me how hard to was to find a bathroom. However, when I ran across Stereogum's post about My Morning Jacket playing Madison Square Garden for the first time in a long time I wished I'd have been there. My Morning Jacket are notorious for their lives shows and for the set list this show lived up to their reputation. 34 freaking songs and this isn't a Sufjan Steven's album where half the sounds at 43 second sound bits. Covers, originals, old, New... this show had everything. Thanks to Scott at Stereogum, we have the audio of this show... it is not the best, but should do for most MMJ fans. The links, along with a video are below.

Also, thank you Michael Muse for the photo. He has some great shots, check them out.

SETLIST
1. Intro music ("What Are You Doing New Years Eve?")
2. Move On Up (Curtis Mayfield)
3. Evil Urges
4. Off The Record
5. Gideon
6. The Way That He Sings
7. Thank You Too
8. I'm Amazed
9. Golden (w/ Will Johnson)
10. Librarian
11. You're All I Need (Marvin Gaye) (w/ Nicole Atkins)
12. Express Yourself (Charles Wright)
13. Wonderful Man
14. Lay Low
15. Phone Went West
16. Look At You
17. Dondante
18. Smoking from Shootin
19. Touch Me Part 2
20. Run Thru
21. The Wanderer (Dion)
22. Dancefloors
23. Magheeta
[New Year's Countdown]
24. Celebration (Kool & The Gang)
25. Get Down On It (Kool & The Gang)
26. Wordless Chorus
27. Highly Suspicious
28. Cobra
29. Islands In The Stream (Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers) (w/ Nicole Atkins)
30. Bring It On Home To Me (Sam Cooke)
31. Cold Sweat (James Brown)
32. Anytime
33. One Big Holiday
34. Auld Lang Syne



MP3 - 64Kbps
MP3 - Better

No comments: