Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

In northern Wisconsin where lakes are freckled across the countryside and the shores are massed with trees thick as the souls that reside there. There is something so calm in this place that it quiets the human spirit to the point where you can hear its silent hum. To be able to capture that sound is probably what musician search for their whole life.

It has been over a decade since I spent any amount of time in northern Wisconsin and even then, I’m not sure you can count a weekend at a lake cabin any type of experience that allowed me to capsulate my inner voice. However, I have listened to Bon Ivers’, For Emma, Forever Ago. I don’t know if this is what he hears in the quiet hum of his life, but it is pretty close to mine. Sure, sure their have been albums that say just what I feel sometimes… or albums that have been able to put down on paper what I have been trying to say. But as far as complete sound, For Emma, Forever Ago is that silent hum with in me, at least at this point in my life.

The circumstances surrounding the recording of this album are partially what make it so close to home for me and also are what make it such a strong influence on the ‘organic’ side/scene of music. Weather or not you buy into that scene; please take the time to listen to this album…

Bon Iver is the stage/band name for Justin Vernon and means, good winter, as it should.

No comments: