Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Release of the Week: Calexico - Carried to Dust (2008)


Calexico - Carried to Dust (2008)

My pick this week could be considered bias, as Calexico is a localish group, hailing from Tucson. However, if you listen to his CD you'll agree that it deserves this spot, though there are some great releases this week.

The first time I listened to this album in its entirety was in a traffic jam an hour outside of Payson on my way to Snowflake... I always feel like I need to mention the places and circumstances involved in the moments that cause me to review or mention a record. I do this because music is tied so much with my life that sometimes it is hard to separate the two... or find the steady balance between the emotion that is born from music and the emotion that is born from life, maybe they are one and the same.

The slightly graded mountains going into Payson from Phoenix were especially green from weather. It was early in the evening and the sun was dipping into the horizon. I rolled down my window; at that altitude I could feel the cool air. This is Arizona to me, 70 degrees, sunset and classical Americana/Mexican music. People in the east down understand songs about dust and cactus like we don't understand songs about the woods and trees. It is how it should be. And though I've grown up on this music, it's still beautiful to me... just like the land it fills.

5 comments:

azsmith said...

I want this one.........how can I get it?

Preston Smith said...

I'll burn the CD for you tonight before you go to Utah... Calexico, Delta Spirit and a couple of others!

April said...

Hey Smith! Great choice-I really like this band-I enjoy some of their other albums as well-Roka on Garden Ruin is a personal fave. Have you heard of Elvis Perkins? I like his stuff too-sort of the same feel. I appreciate this blog-I'm always looking for those special little gems to add to the soundtrack of my life. :)

Preston Smith said...

Yeah, Elvis is really good, um Perkins that is. glad I could add music to your lives soundtrack.

Quick question: first 3 songs on the sound track of your life?

P

April said...

There's no way to answer this question. There are so many songs out there that could represent some aspect of me. I've decided I will give you a few examples of songs that could potentially be/or have been in the top 3...I know I'm missing so many but here goes, in no particular order:

-Ain't No Sunshine(Bill Withers)
-Stolen Car(Beth Orton)
-Wish You Were Here(Pink Floyd)
-Angel Standing By (Jewel)
-Somewhere Over the Rainbow (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole)
-Satelite (Dave Mathews Band)
-Here With Me (Dido)
-I Love You (Sarah Mclachlan)
-Yellow (Coldplay)
-Missed the Boat (Modest Mouse)
-Thunderstruck (AC/DC)
-Goodbye (Save Ferris)
-Sadness (Enigma)
-Old Man/Heart of Gold (Neil Young)
-Just Like Heaven (The Cure)
-Baby's Got Back (Sir Mix A Lot) j/k..although it would be fitting. LOL!

Okay, I'm getting delirious now...I think I have a fever (not the kind that can be cured by more cowbell, either). I hate this because the more I look at the songs, the more I think of others and wonder if they are more appropriate. Oh well, whatever! I'm gonna make like a banana..

ps. Don't judge me man...I know you're a bit of a music snob (no offense...just telling it like I see it :) ) If you think my list sucks, keep it to yourself, k? :)
WORD!