Saturday, August 09, 2008

Weezer + Tokyo Police Club =


Today I was ecstatically telling a fellow musicetarian about the up coming Tokyo Police Club tour and their plans to visit Phoenix at the Brickhouse, a modestly sized rustic venue in down town phoenix. So exited was I that she come from Tucson to Phoenix to see this show that I started to look up the exact date on the internet and what to my horrified eyes should appear but tours dates supporting Weezer playing arena shows here and there! Apparently, they had changed their tour in order to support Weezer.

The first time I saw Weezer was in 1995 off the Pinkerton tour, their first reunion tour. I was modestly impressed with their show... but even at 15 I knew there was more to a performance then snobbishly regurgitating ones song catalog. I've seen them a number of times since and have been similarly impressed/not impressed at all. Now on their fifth reunion tour and about 13 years later they are still trying to do the same thing. On the other hand, I've seen Tokyo Police Club a couple of times, everytime at small venues and always a different show.

Please don't get me wrong, Weezer will always have a place in my heart. The first time I heard, Undone (the sweater song), has to be one of the top 20 musical moments of my life. This is my membership card for the weezer fan club that I joined in 1995... for those of you who know that was back when Mykel and Carli were running the club.

Truth is I don't want to have to see Tokyo Police Club in an arena or have to battle the crowds of late twenty year old going through some past life revival and young teenie boppers who think that they have discovered something new and fresh in Weezer.

So to finish the equation: Weezer + Tokyo Police Club = Over Priced Arena Show

1 comment:

Tessa said...

That is a major dagger that Tokyo Police Club is touring with WEEZER of all bands... I suppose for now I will just have to remember what seeing TPC for the first time was like!

Happy Trails...