Sunday, February 28, 2010

Record Review: Laarks - An Exaltation of Laarks

Every review I've read (should I be reading reviews?) of An Exaltation of Laarks compared them to Postal Service, so I was in no rush listen to the album. And then I got the album in the mail. And I listened to it. Thank the heavens, the album sounded nothing like that oft-made comparison. In fact, I'd say it has more in common with Gibbard's other project Death Cab, than The Postal Service. But Laarks differentiate themselves from any Gibbard project in the best way possible: They don't have Gibbard's whiny voice. Instead, they trade up for Ian Jacoby's sweet vocals and witty lyrics. The album is rocking where it needs to be rocking, mellow when it needs to be mellow, poppy when it needs to be poppy, and sweet when it needs to be sweet. It's a real gem that is probably hampered by it's oft made comparisons.

Catch them on their current tour, especially those of you in Phoenix, Laarks will be playing at The Trunk Space this Tuesday, the 2nd at 8pm. $8

Laarks - All the Words You Can't Say Right mp3

No comments: